» Chesterfield Borough Council
09 March, 2015
Chesterfield Borough Council was one of the first councils in Britain to achieve UKAS accredited Eco Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) registration. During 2005/06, EMAS helped the Council improve its environmental performance significantly, including:
- Reducing the amount of waste produced by 5.5% to 5,455 tonnes
- Identifying several new recycling opportunities, which along with existing schemes ensured the Council reused, recycled and composted 1,020 tonnes of the waste it produced
- Reducing gas consumption by 11%
- Reducing employee mileage by 7.5%
- Reducing carbon emissions by 5.3% to 4,672 tonnes
As well as reducing negative impacts on Chesterfield’s environment, these measures have also saved the Council money by reducing costs.
UKAS accreditation of the EMAS verifier ensures that the Council and its stakeholders can have confidence in the registration process.
Chesterfield Borough Council