This three-day highly interactive course provides learners with an in depth understanding of ISO/IEC 17020 in relation to this specialist area. The course includes reference to key documents including UKAS Publication RG 201, the FSR Codes of Practice and Conduct and ILAC- G19:08/2014.
Within the Codes of Practice and Conduct, The Forensic Science Regulator has defined the expectations with respect to the accreditation, to ISO/IEC 17020, of activities undertaken at incident scenes. Whilst the deadline to achieve this accreditation has been deferred due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a revised target date of October 2022 is now in place.
This postponement allows organisations to ensure that they are in a good position to meet the new deadline. To assist with this preparation, UKAS have developed this course, specifically tailored for the application of ISO/IEC 17020 in the area of crime scene examination, presenting an opportunity for organisations to get ready for the new deadline.
Learning outcomes of this course
This course provides delegates with an understanding of the ISO/IEC 17020 standard, and the associated publications used during UKAS assessments to enable them to determine how they can meet the requirements in their own organisations.
At the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand the background to, and requirements of, ISO/IEC 17020, RG 201, ILAC G19 and the FSR Codes of Practice and their applicability to crime scene investigation
- Appreciate how to implement and manage conformance to ISO/IEC 17020
- Have the skills and knowledge to structure and document their quality management system in preparation for accreditation
Delegates who attend the course in full will receive a certificate of attendance once their invoice has been settled.
- Scope, Definitions and Principles
- Impartiality and Independence
- Organisation and Management
- Resource, Competence and Personnel
- Facilities and Equipment
- Inspection Method and Procedures
- Handling Samples
- Complaints and Appeals
- Management System Requirements
Who should attend?
The training is tailored to organisations undertaking Scene of Crime Examination and includes examples of how the requirements of the standard relate to the operations of a Crime Scene Investigation Unit. This course is highly interactive with a number of exercises relating specifically to activities that would be familiar to Crime Scene Examiners.
The course is suitable for anyone who is responsible for implementing or maintaining systems within a Crime Scene Investigation Unit. This training would be particularly beneficial for those who are looking to gain accreditation to ISO/IEC 17020:2012.