ILAC facilitates trade by operating a worldwide mutual recognition arrangement (the ILAC MRA) among accreditation bodies, in order that the data and test results issued by laboratories, inspection bodies, proficiency testing providers and reference material producers, accredited by ILAC Accreditation Bodies members, such as UKAS, are accepted globally.
The primary purpose of ILAC is to establish multilateral arrangements between member accreditation bodies, based on mutual evaluation and acceptance of each other’s accreditation systems.
ILAC is the world’s principal international forum for:
- the development of laboratory and inspection body accreditation practices and procedures
- the promotion of laboratory and inspection body accreditation as a trade facilitation tool
- the assistance of developing accreditation systems
- the recognition of competent test and inspection facilities around the globe.
UKAS is one of 90 accreditation bodies that have signed the ILAC Arrangement to promote the acceptance of accredited test, calibration and inspection data and results. The ILAC Arrangement, a mutual recognition arrangement between the Full Members of ILAC, provides significant technical underpinning to international trade.
The scope of the ILAC MRA covers:
- Calibration laboratories: ISO/IEC 17025
- Testing laboratories: ISO/IEC 17025
- Medical testing laboratories: ISO 15189
- Inspection bodies: ISO/IEC 17020
View UKAS ILAC MRA Certificate.
UKAS accredited laboratories and inspection bodies may reference the ILAC MRA on certificates and reports using appropriate wording such as:
The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is one of the signatories to the International Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (ILAC) Arrangement for the mutual recognition of [test reports] [calibration certificates] [inspection reports].
Accredited organisations can also apply to use the ILAC MRA Mark.