UKAS is actively seeking technical assessors in the area of fire/flammability testing.
Suitable applicants would have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Flammability testing of toys
- Flammability testing of furniture and upholstery
- Flammability testing of beds and bedding
- Reaction and resistance to fire testing of building and construction products.
- Heat transfer, thermal protection, fire testing of PPE
- EASA/FAA (European Aviation Safety Agency/ Federal Aviation Administration) aircraft materials fire testing
- Motor vehicle & rail transport materials fire testing
Applicants should have:
- A number of years practical experience in the application and practical completion of the tests to be assessed
- Up-to-date and detailed knowledge relevant to their field of expertise
- Excellent interpersonal skills, being able to communicate effectively with laboratory staff, management and their customers at all levels
Additionally, applicants would benefit from:
- Some experience of internal or external auditing
- Awareness and/or involvement with any relevant BSI technical committees, PINFA (Phosphorus, Inorganic and Nitrogen Flame Retardants Association) or EGOLF (European Group of Organisations for Fire Testing, Inspection and Certification)
It is important that our assessors are acceptable to a wide range of accredited bodies and it is therefore important that they can demonstrate a good degree of impartiality.
UKAS contracts technical assessors on a day rate basis, the level of work depends on the demands that our customers place on us and therefore UKAS cannot guarantee specific levels of work.