» How to apply for an Extension to Scope (ETS)
A scope (or schedule) is the official and detailed statement of activities for which the accredited body is granted accreditation. UKAS offers an extension to scope service for customers who wish to add to or change their range of accredited activities. This process may cover a number of changes to an existing scope, including:
- Addition of new conformity assessment activities (tests, inspections, calibrations, areas of certification, etc.)
- Addition of new locations (UK or overseas)
- Expansion into a new area of accreditation
UKAS customers wishing to extend their scope of accreditation need to apply to UKAS to have the scope extension assessed. To apply please complete the appropriate AC form (see below).
- AC1 Certification Body Accreditation Application Form
- AC2 Inspection Body Accreditation Application Form
- AC3 Calibration Laboratory Accreditation Application Form
- AC4 Testing Laboratory Accreditation Application Form
- AC5 Proficiency Testing EQA Provider (ISO/IEC 17043) Application Form
- AC6 Medical Testing Laboratory Accreditation Application Form
- AC7 Reference Material Producer (ISO 17034) Application Form
- AC8 Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering (BS 70000) Application Form
- AC9 Physiological & Imaging Services (IQIPS & QSI) Accreditation Application
- AC COV COVID-19 Testing Extension to Scope Application Form - see also F542 COVID-19 Confidentiality Waiver
(Please note that unless you are a customer in our Corporate Customer section UKAS does not accept extension to scope applications that are submitted without accompanying documentation.)
On receipt of an application for an extension to scope UKAS will review the application to determine whether the activity can be accredited, and if so will consider the assessment approach and amount of effort required to assess it. The methodologies to be employed in assessing the extension to scope will depend upon a number of factors such as technical complexity, similarity to existing scopes, etc.
An assessment of the extension to scope will be conducted within an agreed timeframe. Following successful assessment and closure of any non-conformities raised during the assessment the extension to scope will be granted and added to the published Schedule of Accreditation. Please note, extending an accredited scope may give rise to an increase in the ongoing costs of maintaining accreditation from UKAS.
If an extension to scope is in an area where UKAS has not previously offered accreditation it is likely that the extension to scope will be handled using our development process. Where this is the case, time frames are likely to be extended beyond that of a normal extension to scope.
Should you require help, please contact the applications team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.