» Who we are
UKAS is a not for profit company limited by guarantee. It is independent of Government, and operates under a Memorandum of Understanding with the Government through the Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. UKAS was appointed as the National Accreditation Body by the Accreditation Regulations 2009 (SI No 3155/2009) and the EU Regulation (EC) 765/2008.
The company is managed by a Board of Non-Executive and Executive Directors:
- Lord Lindsay (Chairman)
- Dr Jeff Llewellyn (Non-Executive Director)
- Sarah Veale CBE (Non-Executive Director)
- Sir Duncan Nichol CBE (Non-Executive Director)
- Michael Mainelli (Non-Executive Director)
- Paul Stennett (Chief Executive)
- Georgia Alsop (Finance & Corporate Services Director)
- Lorraine Turner (Business Development & Technical Director)
- Jeff Ruddle (Operations Director)
The Board is supported in the day-to- day running of the company's activities by an Executive drawn from senior UKAS staff.
UKAS’ expertise and professional status within the world of accreditation is underpinned by the specialist knowledge of its staff. With an overall aim of providing the highest level of service, insight and specialist expertise to customers, UKAS staff’ strive to make continuous improvements within the areas of accreditation, certification, testing and inspection.
In addition to the permanent staff base, UKAS is able to call on the resource of independent technical assessors who provide additional expertise and insight, from a diverse area of industry and healthcare sectors. These technical assessors are each specialists in their own sector, whether that is in the field of healthcare, engineering, construction, environmental, energy or Forensic Science.