UKAS and the EA
UKAS has been a member of EA since its inception: All members have to be able to demonstrate that they operate an accreditation system compatible with the applicable international standards, principally ISO/IEC 17011 Conformity assessment — Requirements for accreditation bodies accrediting conformity assessment bodies.
The members agree common policies with regard to accreditation and work towards the mutual recognition that is achieved through membership of the EA Multilateral Recognition Agreement (MLA). They are advised by a formally constituted Advisory Board (EAAB) which is representative of the stakeholders of accreditation at the European level.
What does the EA MLA cover?
The European co-operation for Accreditation (EA) is the Association of the national accreditation bodies that provide accreditation of the following conformity assessment activities:
- Laboratories – Testing and Medical examinations (ISO/IEC 17025, ISO 15189)
- Laboratories – Calibration (ISO/IEC 17025)
- Certification Bodies – Product certification (ISO/IEC 17065)
- Certification Bodies – Certification of persons (ISO/IEC 17024)
- Certification Bodies – Management systems certification (ISO/IEC 17021)
- Inspection (ISO/IEC 17020)
- Validation and Verification (ISO 14065)
- Proficiency Testing Providers (ISO/IEC 17043)
- Reference Material Producers (ISO 17034)