28 AUGUST 2020
In August 2020, with the announcement of the Green Homes Grant Scheme (GH) the Government has made available £2 billion for installing energy efficiency and renewable energy measures by 31 March 2021. The scheme will be underpinned by UKAS-accredited certification of installers to PAS 2030.
Following the publication of the revised PAS 2030:2019 in May 2019 BEIS initiated a transition period to ensure that all UKAS-accredited certification bodies and their certified installers had transitioned to the new version of PAS 2030 by 30 June 2021.*
In order to facilitate implementation of the Green Homes Grant Scheme by the deadline, BEIS has made changes to the transitional policy from date of the scheme launch on 28 August 2020 for a temporary period as follows:
- PAS 2030 certified installers that have transitioned from PAS 2030:2017 certification to PAS 2030:2019 certification prior to the commencement date of the temporary flexibility arrangement can have their ‘superseded’ PAS 2030:2017 certification recognised alongside their PAS 2030:2019 certification; thus permitted to work in compliance with either standard of their certification and scope from the commencement date of 28 August 2020 until 31 March 2021.
- PAS 2030 certified installers that transition from PAS 2030:2017 certification to PAS 2030:2019 certification after the commencement date of the temporary flexibility arrangement can have their ‘superseded’ PAS 2030:2017 certification recognised alongside their PAS 2030:2019 certification; thus permitted to work in compliance with either standard of their certification and scope from their PAS 2030:2019 certification date until 31 March 2021.
- PAS 2030 certified installers that either transitioned from PAS 2030:2017 certification to PAS 2030:2019 certification prior to or after the commencement date of the temporary flexibility arrangement are required to work in compliance with and in scope of their PAS 2030:2019 certification and in compliance with PAS 2035:2019 on and after 31 March 2021.
Note: Where an installer has no relationship with the Certification Body that issued the PAS 2030:2017 certification (e.g. moved to Certification Body to obtain PAS 2030:2019 certification) recognition of PAS 2030:2017 certification may not be possible; this will be dependent on the services offered by the PAS 2030:2017 Certification Body.
- Where an installer has not previously been certified to PAS 2030:2017, they may apply to a UKAS-accredited certification body for certification to PAS 2030:2019. If they are unable to meet all the requirements of PAS 2030:2019 the certification body will issue non conformities which will need to be closed before certification. However, providing the installer is able to demonstrate compliance with PAS 2030:2017 requirements, the certification body will be able to certify them for that standard for a limited interim period, ending not later than 31 March 2021, on the understanding that they are working towards compliance with PAS 2030: 2019. This will allow the installer to participate in the Green Homes Grant scheme. When the installer is able to provide evidence to the certification body that enables the outstanding non conformities to be closed, the certification body will complete the certification to PAS 2030: 2019.
- Any PAS 2030:2017 certificate that has been issued under this arrangement must be transitioned by the 31 March 2021 or the certificate will lapse.
This temporary flexibility arrangement does not extend the overall PAS 2030:2019/PAS 2035:2019 transition time scale beyond the published date of 30 June 2021. There is no implication that PAS 2030:2019 certification can be used without compliance with PAS 2035:2019.
All other applicable rules and requirements apply including but not necessarily limited to those defined by BEIS, UKAS, Ofgem and TrustMark.
a) Certification to PAS 2030:2019 requires compliance with all the requirements of that standard.
b) All UKAS- accredited PAS 2030 certification bodies have had their accreditation schedules updated to PAS 2030:2019 as required by the BEIS transitional requirements. The BEIS Flexibility arrangements for the interim period for the Green Homes Grant scheme, mean that this accreditation will be recognised as also allowing certification to the 2017 version of PAS 2030 for the limited period until 31 March 2021.
c) Installers will only be able to install measures for which they hold certification and for which their certification body holds accreditation.
* The transition arrangements required all certification bodies to transition by 30 June 2020, which was achieved by the deadline. As certification bodies transitioned, they were expected to certify their installers to the new standard when their surveillance became due, such that by 30 June 2021, all installers would have been transitioned to the 2019 version. New applicant installers were expected to work towards certification to PAS 2030:2019.