At the IAF General Assembly in October 2019, two resolutions were published regarding the status of ISO 14065 (Greenhouse gases – Requirements for greenhouse gas validation and verification bodies for use in accreditation or other forms of recognition) and related standards in the field of Greenhouse Gas validation. These resolutions are shown below: –
IAF Resolution 2019-18 – Transitional Arrangements for ISO 14064-3:2019
The General Assembly, acting on the recommendation of the Technical Committee, resolved that the transition arrangement for the revision of ISO 14064-3 shall be four years from 30 April 2019. Any Greenhouse Gas Validation and Verification engagements commenced after 30 April 2023 shall be performed to ISO 14064-3:2019. Within this transition timeline:
- Accreditation Bodies shall be ready to carry out ISO 14065 assessments using 14064-3:2019 for conformity assessment schemes that reference ISO 14064-3 within 18 months from 30 April 2019.
- Where local legislation/regulation requires accredited validation/verification referencing ISO 14064-3:2006 and has not been amended to reference ISO 14064-3:2019, the use of ISO 14064-3:2006 in accredited validation/verification may be extended.
UKAS is working on the transition process for ISO 14064-3 (Greenhouse gases – Part 3: Specification with guidance for the verification and validation of greenhouse gas statements) which can now be finalised following the publication of the above resolution. Further information will be sent to accredited Greenhouse Gas Verification Bodies shortly.
IAF Resolution 2019-19 – Transitional Arrangements for ISO 14065:202x
The General Assembly, acting on the recommendation of the Technical Committee, resolved that the transition arrangement for the revision of ISO 14065 shall be three years from the date of publication of ISO 14065:202x. Within this transition timeline:
- Accreditation Bodies shall be ready to carry out transition assessment against the new version of ISO 14065 within 12 months from the date of publication.
- All accreditation against the new version of ISO 14065 shall require accreditation to ISO/IEC 17029.
- Where local legislation/regulation requires accredited validation/verification referencing ISO 14065:2013 and has not been amended to reference the new version of ISO 14065, the use of ISO 14065:2013 in accredited validation/verification may be extended.
At the time of publishing this Technical Bulletin, the new version of ISO 14065 is still at Committee Draft stage and is not expected to be published before 2021. In contrast to the current version of ISO 14065, the new version is not expected to contain sufficient requirements to be used for accreditation on its own, and that it will only be able to be used in combination with the newly published (October 2019) standard on validation & verification: ISO/IEC 17029.
Should you require any clarification on the subject covered by this bulletin, please contact; Janet Gascoigne, Development Manager – [email protected]
Click here to download this as a PDF.