» Inspection body accreditation
Inspection body accreditation (ISO/IEC 17020)
UKAS provides ISO/IEC 17020 accreditation to organisations performing various types of inspection, surveys and risk assessments:
- Engineering Inspection (including Pressure Systems, lifting equipment/Hoists, electrical installations, power presses, local exhaust ventilation, cargo / pre-shipment inspection, manufacture of boilers / pressure vessels, welding inspections, oil and gas metering)
- Building and Construction Products
- Food Inspection (food safety, food hygiene, manufacturing and processed practices, cargo inspection, animal welfare, labelling)
- Asbestos Surveys
- Legionella Risk Assessments
- Health and Social Care
- Care Home Inspection
- Nuclear New Build Inspection
- Fire Protection Systems
- Crime Scene Examination
- Railway Competence
- Plant Health
- Environmental Technology Verification
UKAS accredited inspection bodies are classified into three types (Type A, Type B and Type C) based on the inspection body's relationship to the parties involved, its organisation structure, and its responsibilities and ownership. Type A bodies provide third party services; Type B bodies are separate and identifiable entities, and can only provide inspections to its parent company. Type C bodies are identifiable entities but may not be a separate part of the organisation. Type C can also supply inspection services to parties other than the parent organisation. It is UKAS' task to assess the competence and to establish the type of independence for each applicant for accreditation.
- Apply for accreditation
- The route to accreditation
- What are the costs of accreditation?
- Government policy on accreditation
- The benefits of accreditation
In order to address the confusion caused by the perception that accredited laboratories do not operate a recognised quality management system, a joint ISO-ILAC-IAF communique can be provided to laboratory clients to demonstrate that the management system requirements of ISO/IEC 17020 meet the principles and requirements of ISO 9001.