» Notified Body accreditation
Notified Body accreditation (Directives and Regulations)
UKAS provides accreditation for the purposes of appointment under EC Directives or UK Regulations.
Bodies seeking appointment by a UK competent authority under relevant UK regulations or EC directives may apply for accreditation from UKAS. Background information, including details of the relevant UK competent authorities, is given in and application should be made to UKAS using the UKAS Application Form.
Bodies wishing to be accredited under these arrangements should liaise with the appropriate competent authority (see the Appendix in * for details) and take steps to ensure that they understand and comply with the relevant guidelines for appointment, as published by the relevant competent authority, and with the relevant regulations before applying to UKAS.
It is Government policy, in line with EC policy, to use the accreditation of bodies seeking to undertake conformity assessment tasks under Directives and to regard accreditation to the relevant standards in the EN 45000 or ISO/IEC 17000 series to an appropriate scope as supporting evidence that the applicant body satisfies the requirements of the minimum criteria.
UKAS provides accreditation on behalf of the following competent authorities:
The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Electrical safety (low voltage)
- Electromagnetic compatibility
- Equipment for use in explosive atmospheres
- Gas Appliances
- Noise emission in the environment by equipment for use outdoors
- Personal protective equipment
- Pressure equipment
- Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment
- Recreational craft
- Simple pressure vessels
- Certain EU/third country Mutual Recognition Agreements
- Pyrotechnical Articles
The Department for Transport (DfT)
- The inspection of tanks for the carriage of dangerous goods by road and rail and the inspection of transportable pressure receptacles for the carriage of dangerous goods by road and rail.
- The Railways (Interoperability) Regulations 2011 No 3066
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG)
- Construction Products Regulation
The National Measurement and Regulation Office (NMRO)
- Non-Automatic Weighing Instruments (NAWI) and Measuring Instruments Directive (MID)
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- The Marine Equipment Directive
* P16 has recently been updated to reflect the requirements of EU Regulation 765/2008/EC and, as a consequence, the preferred methodology of UK competent authorities to use accreditation for the appointment of notified bodies. This revised version (Edition 12) is currently available on the UKAS website for public consultation, but should be referred to with immediate effect (July 2013).